What Is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a chronic musculoskeletal disease that affects over 50 million Americans. It is a serious condition that is the leading cause for disability in America. When left untreated, Arthritis can be debilitating. While it is commonly thought that Arthritis only affects people of old age, Arthritis actually affects people of all ages.
The pain, swelling and stiffness associated with arthritis deviates from time to time and is seen to bring about mild to extreme pain in different people.
While often referred to as if it were a single disease, arthritis is actually an umbrella term used for a group of more than 100 medical conditions, The most common forms of arthritis are:
- Osteoarthritis: Also referred to as "wear-and-tear" arthritis because, although it's known to run in families, it is commonly the result of repetitive joint motion which slowly erodes the protective cartilage between bone joints.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: A type of chronic inflammatory disease, which involves the peripheral joints, encompassing the wrists, toes, fingers, joints, and knees.
- Juvenile Arthritis: A type of arthritis which develops in children under the age of 16.
Symptoms of Arthritis
Some of the most common symptoms of arthritis include:
- Pain – moderate to severe
- Inflammation of joints
- Redness and warmth of joints
- Crackling sound or grating feeing in the joints
- Limited function and sometimes loss of mobility
- Damage to join cartilage
- Visible deformities
For many people with arthritis, however, joint involvement is not the extent of the problem. Many forms of arthritis are classified as systemic, meaning they can affect the whole body. In these diseases, arthritis can cause damage to virtually any bodily organ or system, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, blood vessels and skin. Therefore, symptoms in some patients with certain forms of arthritis can also include fever, gland swelling (lymph node), weight loss, fatigue, feeling unwell, and even symptoms from abnormalities of organs such as the lungs, heart, or kidneys.
Treatment of Arthritis at Patients Medical in NYC
Patients Medical provides the most comprehensive integrative and personalized treatment of Arthritis in NYC. Treatment for Arthritis includes:
- Expert physicians: A personal consultation with one of our expert physicians will help initiate your personalized treatment program.
- Highly specialized testing: Testing at Patients Medical for patients with symptoms or previous diagnoses of Rheumatoid Arthritis will include tests for autoimmune markers as well as hormonal imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, heavy metals, toxins and many other specialized tests.
It is important to understand that Rheumatoid Arthritis does not just affect your joints. Working with a physician at Patients Medical who understands the scope of the disease and the toll it can take on your whole body is vital.
- Nutrient IV Therapy: Patients Medical’s personalized IV treatment protocols can be helpful for patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis to decrease inflammation, boost the immune system and help with discomfort.
- Osteopathic Medicine: Patients Medical’s Osteopathic physicians are highly trained to help patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Interventional pain management and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment can also be highly successful for patients looking to avoid prescription pain medication and/or surgical intervention.
- Acupuncture: Patients Medical offers Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine to help reduce the symptoms cause by Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Stem Cell Therapy: The New York Stem Cell Treatment Center at Patients Medical is taking part in a nation-wide human clinical trial. Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis are encouraged to participate, as this therapy can help regrow cartilage and relieve pain. >>Click here to learn more about the trial.
- Natural Supplements: Patients Medical’s natural supplement shop provides supplements that help support healthy joints and relief of related symptoms including:
Begin Your Journey to Wellness with Patients Medical
Our job at Patients Medical is to listen, to connect the dots between a patient's medical history, symptoms, and their underlying causes. Patients Medical is a superb place for women and men to secure integrative and holistic health care from providers who give personalized care, partner with the patient to focus on the root cause of their illness, support their recovery, and help them maintain good health.
For those that can make the journey, we are happy to welcome new patients to our medical center in New York City. Call us at 1-212-794-8800. We are here to listen and to help.
We are located at: Patients Medical PC, 800 Second Avenue, Suite 900 (Between 42nd & 43rd Street) Manhattan, New York, NY 10017