Supplements Used to Treat Cerebral Palsy
There are treatments for the problems that accompany Cerebral Palsy such as seizures, muscle spasms, osteopenia, depression, and so on; however, these prescription drugs often come with risks, risks that some people aren’t willing to take.
So our doctors suggest using all natural supplements because they do not pose these risks, and can prevent further complications. You see, doctors know the key is treating not only the source but where common problems occur; in the case of Cerebral Palsy that is the muscles, joints, and nervous system.
Patients Medical uses Vitarin which has 10 essential vitamins and minerals that promote neurological, skeletal, and muscle health and strength in the following ways:
- Vitamin C - Vitamin C is one of those vitamins that contribute to several systems and functions in the human body, such as skeletal, muscle, bone, neurological, and immune function. For instance it is essential in the production of collagen, collagen is crucial for the healthy development of muscles, tendons, and bones. As we all know CP can have devastating effects on the muscles and bones.
Not only is Vitamin C essential to the mechanical aspects of your body but it also plays a major role in the synthesis of neurotransmitters, which are basically the body/brain’s message delivery system; neurotransmitters also have an effect on your mood.
- Vitamin D - Like Vitamin C, Vitamin D is essential to bone and muscle health. Studies have shown that a lack of vitamin D in your diet can cause unexplained muscle pain and weakness. Muscle weakness is the last thing a person with CP needs! Not to mention vitamin D combines with calcium to protect and rebuild bones.
- Thiamin - Thiamin is known as a coenzyme, in other words for certain enzymes to function properly thiamin is needed. Without thiamin these certain enzymes would not be able to carry out there specific function. Some examples of thiamin use in the body are the conversion of carbohydrates to energy for our cells, it is also essential to the proper function of the heart, muscles, and neurological system.
- Vitamin B6 - B6 is an essential vitamin to the proper function of the body it affects the blood, nervous system, immune system, and hormonal fluctuations. A deficiency of B6 can cause developmental abnormalities, nervous system complications, weak immunity, and poor energy levels just to name a few. B6 is essential in the synthesis of protein which supplies our body and brain with energy, so you can see why a deficiency of B6 can be so detrimental. Some medications such as birth control and certain seizure medicines can cause a B6 deficiency.
- Calcium - Calcium, the body’s most abundant mineral is essential for the prevention of osteoporosis. Calcium also regulates in the relaxation and contraction of the body’s muscles as well as activates certain enzymes.
- Magnesium - Magnesium is an essential mineral to the health and structure of bones and muscles as well as many other systems in the body, it is said that magnesium is required for over 300 biochemical processes in the human body. A magnesium deficiency can cause symptoms such as heart spasms, nervousness, confusion, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, muscle contractions and spasms, fatigue, and feelings of weakness, both in general and in the muscles.
- Zinc - Zinc may only be a trace element in our bodies but its impact is far from trace amounts! Zinc plays a key role in the growth and development of our body, as well as immune response, neurological function, and reproduction. Zinc has a direct effect on nerve impulse transmission that stimulates the release of hormones and cell signaling or communication.
- Boron - Boron like Zinc is only a trace element in the body but, it has influence over how the body metabolizes calcium and magnesium. According to the USDA "boron is a trace mineral that helps bones develop and grow normally. Boron becomes especially important when there is not enough vitamin D in the diet. Boron may also prevent arthritis in the elderly". It is also thought that Boron is useful to increase muscle mass, increase muscle strength, maintain bone density, and improve calcium absorption.
Decreased amounts of Boron have been shown to cause decreased electrical activity in the brain, as well as impaired hand eye coordination, and poor manual dexterity.
- Citrus Bioflavonoid complex - Bioflavonoids are compounds found in citrus fruits, rose hips, and other plants. Adding this particular complex to your vitamin C is like adding jet fuel to your car, in other words this makes the benefits of the vitamin C explode and give you the fullest benefit possible!
- GABA - GABA is a neurotransmitter that has a direct affect on your mood. There have been significant claims made that GABA is a useful treatment of ADD and certain types of epilepsy however, more research needs to be done to validate these claims. What GABA is proven to do is, relax, calm, reduce stress, and improve quality of sleep.
This unique blend was specifically created for people with Cerebral Palsy; every single ingredient is in there for a specific purpose, and each work together to ensure you get the maximum benefits from the supplements you are taking.
For example, you may take calcium everyday but unless you are taking vitamin D along with the calcium you are doing little more than swallowing a pill, this is because one is basically useless without the other.
With this formula you don’t have to worry about that because progressive health and the experts that create these supplements have already done the research for you! Not only will the supplement build up weak areas in an effort to correct a problem but it will also make the joints, muscles, and bones stronger in an attempt to prevent further damage.
Definitions of Various Terms
Spastic – An individual who is affected by an involuntary jerky muscular contractions.
Hypertonia – An increased stiffness of muscle tone.
Hypotonia – A reduced tone of skeletal muscles.
While you may find this medical information useful, as the next step we strongly recommend that you make an appointment to see one of our physicians to ensure that your health issues are properly addressed.
To schedule an appointment with our physicians, please call our patient coordinator at 212-794-8800, send the form below or an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are currently accepting new patients and look forward to being of assistance.
We are located at: Patients Medical PC, 800 Second Avenue, Suite 900 (Between 42nd & 43rd Street), Manhattan, New York, NY 10017.