Weight Reduction Program
The core focus of the Patient’s Medical Practice is to treat the entire person. Preventative health care programs are offered to existing patients or new patients who want to learn how to make changes in their lifestyle and nutrition to support a robust, healthy life.
Our mission is to inspire and empower our clients to live extraordinary lives by nourishing themselves from the inside out. Our goal is to clear up the confusion around healthy diets and lifestyle and to promote disease prevention. We support our clients by helping them discover a personalized, natural way of eating that works for them and meets their health goals while providing them with the energy to enjoy a wonderful life. As a result the positive changes they make can be sustained and integrated into their personal lifestyle and address the needs of their unique body.
Whether you are seeking treatment for a complex medical condition, weight loss, or would like general information on improving overall health, you will leave your initial appointment with useful knowledge you can implement immediately into your life.
Patient’s Medical offers a variety of Nutrition Program options to meet your needs. Some clients choose to visit once, and then schedule individual follow up appointments as required, while others request a full program with pre-scheduled follow-up meetings. Some opt for phone consultations as their schedules do not accommodate regular office visits.
We encourage you to commit to a program up front as it not only insures ample time for you to obtain the support you need to develop new habits that enable you to achieve and maintain your results, but it also saves you money. Whatever your preference, we will tailor a healthy nutrition and lifestyle plan to meet your specific needs with full collaboration with your physicians and therapists when appropriate.
Areas of Expertise
Patient Medical’s Customized Weight Management Program
Achieving long-term weight loss has proven to be an insurmountable challenge for most people. Studies show that while some people are able to achieve short-term weight loss by combining restrictive calorie intake with exercise, a significant majority gain their weight back within two years or less. Most have not made any changes to their eating habits, lifestyle or how they think about food, so they revert back to old habits as soon as they “finish” their “diet”.
We believe that a diet is not something you go “on and off” but instead is a part of your lifestyle, including what not only what you eat and but also your behaviors and thoughts around food. This comprehensive approach is what distinguishes our program. It not only helps to clear up the confusion around overwhelming and conflicting nutritional information but also equips you with the support, tools and techniques you need to achieve permanent weight loss. We focus on eating healthfully and making lifestyle and mindset changes to reach and support ideal weight and health long term. Our coaching centers on empowering clients to improve their lives by making permanent, sustainable changes and creating balance through supportive nutrition and personal growth.
Once you meet with the Nutritionist you will map out your specific goals so your program can be customized to resolve your individual concerns unique to your mind and body. Your Nutrition Coach, will work with you to develop a complete, practical and effective Wellness Program that addresses your specific needs, challenges, mindset and lifestyle, finding the right plan for you. Not only will this approach get you results, but it will allow you to sustain them. These comprehensive programs are designed to have clients take charge of their health and resolve their health issues while acquiring the tools for a lifetime of balance and permanent weight loss.
Finally you can be free of continual weight fluctuations and the demoralization and frustrations that accompany them.
Patients Medical’s Program Centers on:
- Assessment - Understand and define health concerns, the first key step to customizing your unique strategy and plan for success. This phase will include documenting your baseline weight, waist /hip ratio and goals. We also offer an optional Bioimpedance Analysis. This non invasive test is extensive and analyzes your specific body to reveal your body’s muscle and fat mass, hydration level, extracellular and intracellular water levels, caloric requirement, cellular health, function and membrane integrity. Patients also have the option to choose a complete medical assessment to compliment their program. This exam would include a physical, complete blood work, identification of metabolic problems, Glucose Tolerance Testing, Lipid Profile, electrocardiogram (EKG), and bone density to assess any weight related conditions and co-morbidities. Such information can serve to solidify the important role of weight management in disease prevention, lifelong health and serve as additional motivation.
- Education - Learn what types of food works best to achieve your weight loss goals and why. In this phase the Nutritionist would also address how nutrition and/or exercise can address any co-morbidity, if identified and applicable.
- Relevant lifestyle changes - Develop habits that will sustain long term results. With individual support you can make progressive reasonable steps to secure habits that will insure lasting results. Understanding and making these behavioral changes are a key element of permanent weight loss.
- Thought processes - Learn how to change your thinking about food. Understand how to identify and address your sabotaging thoughts about nutrition and lifestyle. Your mind is one of your most powerful tools and is an integral part of reaching and maintaining your goals. If you do not change how you think about food you run the risk of lapsing back to old patterns. This key element is missing in most conventional plans.
- Practical application - Understand how to consistently incorporate these foods into your life, no matter how busy or stressful it may be.
- Maintenance -Work with your coach to define your acceptable weight range and create a follow up plan to insure your results are sustained.
How Patients Medical’s Weight Loss Program Differs
A. Our Extensive Staff of Medical Professionals
B. Our State of the Art Testing
- Since there is no magic pill for health and well-being, the road to total wellness requires a diverse, collaborative team of integrative health care professionals with a full spectrum of skills who are dedicated to addressing the needs of your whole being- mind, body and spirit. From physicians and medical staff trained at the country’s most prestigious medical centers and institutions, to our full spectrum of licensed and certified health care practitioners, our multidisciplinary team of specialists is at the forefront of integrative medicine and holistic health care. Our nutritionist will work closely with our physicians to insure any medical obstacles to your weight loss success are addressed in developing your program.
C. Our Program Addresses Lifestyle Changes
- Many patients have a difficult time losing weight due to a combination of thyroid, neurotransmitter, adrenal, nutritional and other hormonal issues. What makes our program unique is that our facility is equipped to provide detailed blood and urine testing. Testing can include a complete hormonal panel, metabolic profile, and glucose tolerance to identify root causes and help focus the plan of action to get you results that have been so difficult in the past.
- Most weight loss programs do not offer such testing as they are not administered by a medical practice or managed by nutrition professional. As a result participants are unsuccessful in achieving their goals because of underlying health issues. If you have been on diets, Weight Watchers and other programs but they have not worked for you, please do not give up hope.
- The good news is that once the testing is done and our physicians have addressed the underlying health issues, our nutritionist will work with you to develop your customized weight loss program which will encompass not only what food to eat to achieve a healthy weight, but what behaviors and thought processes will make your results lifelong. You owe yourself the gift of health and vitality!
- In accordance with our philosophy of treating your total body and mind, we view weight loss as a key tool is insuring that you live a vibrant, active life sustained by good health, high energy, mental clarity, full function, and absence of disease well into old age. If that’s what you want, our Health care team can help you.
Patients Medical uses the patented FirstLine Therapy® (FLT) weight loss program because it works! FirstLine Therapy® (FLT) is a supervised Therapeutic Lifestyle Change (TLC) program that is managed by our nutritionist with the support of our full staff of medical doctors. The FirstLine Therapy® program not only helps you reach a healthy weight permanently, but also teaches you to evolve into a lifestyle that arms you with a first line treatment to prevent common, chronic health problems. FirstLine Therapy is about making choices every day that will enable you to lose weight, and achieve a long, full, and healthy life.
By controlling your weight you can not only prevent chronic disease in the future but also improve your health and the quality of life now.
Why we use the FirstLine Therapy® Program First
Leading health organizations now recommend lifestyle changes as the "first line of therapy" for the treatment and prevention of chronic disease and other serious health threats. Here are just a few of the health conditions that FirstLine Therapy can effectively address:
FirstLine Therapy Health Conditions
||Heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke
|Blood Sugar Issues
||Type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, hypoglycemia
||Cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes,metabolic syndrome
||Irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, autoimmune disorders
|Men's Health Issues
||Low testosterone, low sex drive, loss of vitality and muscle tone
|Women's Health Issues
||Menopause, hormone imbalance, premenstrual syndrome
|Mood and Cognition Issues
||Alzeimer's disease, depression, poor memory or lack of mental clarity
|Bone & Joint Issues
||Fatigue, sleeplessness, poor overall health
Think about the life you want to live. You still have a choice and a chance to be the person you’ve always wanted to be.
Many of these common health concerns can be reversed or even treated by making some simple, but important lifestyle changes. Where do you start? Who will be there to help you stay on track?
How FirstLine Therapy Works
One of the reasons diets and exercise programs fail is they are one-dimensional—that is, they focus on weight loss one. FirstLine Therapy isn’t just about weight loss; it’s about achieving a lifetime of good health. Instead of counting calories, you’ll learn:
- Simple steps to help you take control of your specific health situation
- Easy ways to track your progress, tips for success, reminders, and other support that will help you achieve your goals and maintain your health improvement.
FirstLine Therapy will help you:
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight, once and for all
- Address the underlying cause of common health problems
- Take control of your health by providing you with the necessary tools
- Live your life in a way that improves your health
- Feel good now, and maintain good health for years to come
Why FirstLine Therapy Works
FirstLine Therapy has helped thousands of people regain their health, lose weight and live fuller, more vibrant lives. FirstLine Therapy works because:
- Its basic principles are in accordance with the most current scientific research
- It addresses the underlying causes of disease, not just the symptoms
- It utilizes simple, progressive steps that you can make part of your lifestyle for life!
More specifically there are four key reasons that make FirstLine Therapy® (FLT) different than conventional lifestyle programs:
Patients Medical focuses on your thoughts and behaviors around eating and teaches you how to think about food.
- FLT is about more than just weight loss
- FLT can help you lose unhealthy fat while retaining healthy, lean muscle.
- FLT integrates body composition testing (fat & lean tissue ratios)-because being thin doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy.
- An imbalance in body composition (gaining too much fat or losing too much muscle) can lead to serious health problems such as high blood pressure, altered cholesterol levels, etc.
- Loss of muscle results in loss of ability to burn calories, which makes it much more difficult to maintain weight loss over time.
- FLT focuses on lifestyle factors that are the underlying cause of many health problems.
- The FLT eating plan is different
- Most diets focus on NOT eating-not eating fat, not eating carbs, or just plain not eating much of anything. With most diets, success is based primarily on will power.
- The FLT eating plan emphasizes the need to eat, and to eat frequently.
- The focus is on eating THE RIGHT KIND OF FOODS-the right kind of fat, the right kind of carbohydrates, and the right kind of protein-all in the right portion size.
- FLT incorporates a low-glycemic-index eating plan based on the latest scientific research that will help you maintain stable blood sugar and energy levels.
- According to recent studies, low-glycemic diets are more effective than low fat diets in treating obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes.
- People report less hunger and more energy, making it much easier to stick with the program.
- FLT incorporates medical foods and dietary supplements.
- Using appropriate medical foods and dietary supplements as part of this program can improve the effectiveness of the program for you and help you achieve your health goals.
- Dietary supplements provide targeted nutritional support for specific functions, such as healthy blood cholesterol or blood sugar levels, joint function and mobility, or healthy hormone metabolism.
- FLT has been demonstrated to be effective in controlled clinical trials. Most other diets have not.
Eating is not automatic - the beating of your heart is automatic. Before you eat something you always have a thought, even if you are not aware of it. If you do not recognize your thoughts or learn how to respond to them, they will lead you astray from your program. Our program will teach you how to talk back to your sabotaging thoughts so you will be prepared for challenges along the way. Most weight loss diets focus only on what you should eat or not eat. They do not include teaching you what you need to know for a lifetime of weight-loss success. Our program gives you those skills. It not only helps you identify nutritious, satisfying foods for an enjoyable diet, but it also teaches you how to stick to your program and stay motivated day after day, no matter what the situation.
It’s not just the calories; it’s the habits! Making psychological changes is a key step ignored by most programs; which focus only on food. Changing your mindset and habits allows you to feel satisfied with your food choices, your weight and most importantly, yourself. With our support, this time will be different; you will lose weight permanently. You will be taught to change your mind set about healthy eating and stop the cycle of losing and regaining; you will learn the techniques that will enable you to follow your nutritious eating plan in any situation. Once and for all you will gain control of your eating, weight and your life. Finally, past feelings of disappointment and demoralization will be replaced by confidence and self esteem!
More specifically it teaches you how to address real life obstacles to consistent, healthy eating.
You will learn what to do when you are challenged by:
- Food Pushers
You will learn how to stay on track when you are:
- Dining out
- Attending a special function
- Feeling that dieting is just too difficult
You will Learn:
- How to be satisfied with realistic/moderate portions
- What to do if you are tempted to have an unplanned snack between meals
- How to consistently use good eating habits-eating slowly, while sitting , enjoying every bite
- How to plan in advance and monitor yourself as you go along
- How to stay motivated and give yourself credit
- How to make healthy eating a priority
- How to get back on track when you make a mistake
- How to reduce and deal with hunger and cravings
- How to include your favorite foods
- How to build your confidence in your ability to follow a healthy lifestyle and eating plan
- How to handle plateaus
- How to maintain your results
The program skills can be applied to other aspects of your life and help you:
- Stop avoiding your “to-do” list. As you learn to better organize your life to accommodate your new healthy lifestyle, you will learn to better organize other aspects of your life.
- Become more assertive. As you become more comfortable with taking better care of yourself and addressing your health needs you will be able to become more assertive in other areas of your life.
- Free up time and energy. As you achieve success via your weight loss results from the program, you will feel more in control of your life and no longer obsess about food, your body, or feel guilty or embarrassed; you will have more time and energy. You will feel proud and optimistic about the future and yourself.
Equipped with a customized, medically based, detailed program addressing food choices, behaviors, mindset as well as the support of our nutritionist, you will have the tools you need for permanent success. We will teach you the skills you need for successful, permanent weight loss, crucial lifestyle changes, and how you think about food and healthy eating. Not only will we teach you theses skills, but also how to practice them every day no matter how stressed, tired, busy or unmotivated you are.
Patients Medical 6 Month Program
This Customized Individual 6 month program meets twice a month for one hour and covers a variety health concerns, focusing on eating healthfully and making lifestyle changes to reach and support ideal health, weight and prevent disease long term. Participants who embrace this tweleve session experience will develop a new understanding how to achieve permanent weight loss and free themselves of the frustration of dieting. Practical tips and suggestions will be given each week to implement the concepts we discuss in each meeting.
Sample Topics of a Six-Month Program:
(The session content is subject to change dependent on individual needs)
Sample Custom Program
||Understanding First Line Therapy/ Defining Wellness/Creating a Balanced Life/Food Pyramids/Getting started
||Complex Carbohydrates/Whole Grains/Carbohydrate Metabolism/ Insulin
||Understanding Food and Mood/The Power of your Mind/ Breakfast Experiment/Glorious Greens/Environment
||Anti Craving Techniques/Understanding behaviors/Demystifying Popular Diets/Mindful Eating/Eating for Energy
||Nurturing the Self/Lifestyle Suggestions/Organic Foods/Creating Time and Energy
||Stress Management/ Digestion/Caffeine/Avoiding Burn-out/Personality Test
||Understanding Fats/Body Type/Role of Exercise/Importance of Sleep
||The Benefits of & Proteins/Cooking with Beans/Food Balancing/Portions
||Eating on the Go/One-Pot Meals & Healthy Snacking/Nurturing Relationships
||Behavior Techniques, Planning, Physical Activity, Triggers, Visual cues, Restaurant Eating
||Cognitive Techniques/Sabotaging Thoughts/ Personal Goals/Healthy Desserts
||Maximizing metabolism/ Controlling Hormones/Reflect/Wrap-Up
Patients Medical's programs are about making choices every day that will enable you to achieve a long, full, and healthy life. Ask Judy Penta, our health care practitioner about our Weight Reduction Program today.
Benefits of Patients Medical’s Customized Program
- Gain in-depth knowledge on a variety of food and health topics
- Learn to fit healthy cooking and easy recipes into your busy schedule
- Address needs specific to your life and body
- Progressive, sustainable changes that address your unique life
- Individual support/inspiration from experienced coach
- Understand connection between food, mood and energy
- Set and achieve individual goals to improve health and lifestyle
- Create long-lasting, sustained energy throughout your day
- Clear up confusion around nutrition and fad diets
- Learn to de-tress and relax
- Reach and maintain ideal weight
- Change behaviors
- Think differently about food
In addition, each participant will receive:
- Recipes and handouts
- Shopping Lists
- Email support between sessions
- Food samples and self care products
- Book recommendations
- Monthly email newsletter with health related articles and recipes
Customized 3 Month Individual Program
This 3 month program is similar to the 6 month program in benefits and content except it is done at an accelerated pace and shorter sessions. Programs range from 7 to 12 visits . Each includes an initial visit of 1 hour and the follow ups of ½ hour.
Option: By Appointment
Individualized sessions are also available where the client makes 1 hour or ½ hour appointments as needed depending on their goals.
Option: Phone Sessions
Programs or individualized sessions can also be done via telephone for your convenience.
Optional Program Add-ons can include:
- A Guided Health food store tour
- Kitchen re organization
- Customized in home cooking classes
- Customized fitness program
6 Month Program Fee: $1710 when payment is made in full at initial visit , or $1800 (6 month, 2 one-hour sessions per month-total 12 sessions, $150 per session).
- Add on Option: To further customize your plan we recommend a Bioimpedance Analysis- This non invasive test is extensive and analyzes your specific body to reveal your body’s muscle and fat mass, hydration level, extracellular and intracellular water levels, caloric requirement, cellular health, function and membrane integrity.
3 Month Program Fee: Package options range from 7 to 12 visits . Each includes an initial visit of 1 hour and the follow ups. Pricing is as follows:
- $978 – reflects a 5% discount when payment is made in full at initial visit. Includes weekly visits for 3 months (12 sessions: initial visit is 1 hour, remaining are ½ hour) or $1030 if not committed to upfront ( Initial 1 hour visit at $150 plus 11- ½ hour visits at $80 per visit).
- $750 – reflects a 5% discount when payment is made in full at initial visit. Includes 9 sessions over 3 months: initial visit is 1 hour, remaining are ½ hour) or $790 if not committed to up front ( Initial 1 hour visit at $150 plus 8- ½ hour visits at $80).
- $598 – reflects a 5% discount when payment is made in full at initial visit. Includes 7 sessions over 3 months: initial visit is 1 hour, remaining are ½ hour) or $630 if not committed to up front ( Initial 1 hour visit at $150 plus 6- ½ hour visits at $80).
- Add on Option: To further customize your plan we recommend a Bioimpedance Analysis; This non invasive test is extensive and analyzes your specific body to reveal muscle and body fat mass, hydration level, extracellular and intracellular water levels, caloric requirement, cellular health and function/membrane integrity.
By Appointment Fee –Initial Individual Nutritional Counseling is $150 per one hour session. Follow ups are available at $150 per one hour session or $80 per half hour session.
Bioimpedance Analysis - $50 with initial nutrition consult; $75 thereafter.
Begin Your Journey to Wellness with Patients Medical
Our job at Patients Medical is to listen, to connect the dots between a patient's
medical history, symptoms, and their underlying causes. Patients Medical is a superb
place for women and men to secure integrative and holistic health care from providers
who give personalized care, partner with the patient to focus on the root cause
of their illness, support their recovery, and help them maintain good health.
For those that can make the journey, we are happy to welcome new patients to our
medical center in New York City. Call us at
. We are here to listen and to help.
We are located at: Patients Medical PC, 800 Second Avenue, Suite 900 (Between 42nd
& 43rd Street) Manhattan, New York, NY 10017
1. Complete Form
Complete this simple form so that we can contact you to learn how Patients Medical
can help you on your health and wellness journey.
2. Meet and Partner With Your Physician
Spend quality time partnering with a highly-trained integrative Patients Medical
physician who specializes in holistic health. You and your physician will engage
in a detailed consultation, physician examination, and diagnostic testing.
3. Follow-Up Consultation
At a follow-up visit, meet with your Patients Medical physician to discuss your
test results and learn of your customized health treatment plan developed specifically
for you. Your physician will evaluate your progress during each follow-up visit,
modifying the plan to help you attain maximum health.