What Is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is the most common cause of arthritis, affecting millions of people worldwide. OA is also referred to as "wear-and-tear" arthritis because, although it's known to run in families, it is commonly the result of repetitive joint motion which slowly erodes the protective cartilage between bone joints.
Osteoarthritis is a Degenerative Joint Condition. Almost every bone in the human body has a smooth protective coating of cartilage on each end, providing a buffer where it connects to another bone. These connections form joints. Without cartilage, bones rub and grind painfully against one another as joints are flexed or bent, resulting in painful damage to the bone.
Unfortunately, this protective cartilage only lasts so long. Eventually, it begins to degenerate and osteoarthritis sets in. While OA usually affects people 55 and older, it can occur in younger individuals whose work or hobbies involve activities requiring repetitive motion.
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis include:
- Acute Joint Pain: pain will occur during or immediately after joint activity
- Joint Tenderness: even gentle pressure applied to affected joints can cause tenderness or discomfort
- Stiffness: joints may become stiff, especially after prolonged periods of inactivity
- Decreased Flexibility: joint mobility may become limited and joints can lose their full range of motion
- A Grating Sensation: the bones in the joint can be heard and/or felt crackling, popping, or grinding as bones rub against one another
- Bone Spurs: small bony additions form around joints and can be felt or seen underneath the skin
Treatment of Osteoarthritis at Patients Medical in NYC
The sooner osteoarthritis is recognized, the faster individuals can take necessary steps to live a pain-free and active life style. Patients Medical provides the most comprehensive integrative and personalized treatment of Osteoarthritis in NYC. Treatment for Osteoarthritis includes:
- Expert physicians: A personal consultation with one of our expert physicians will help initiate your personalized treatment program.
- Highly specialized testing: Testing at Patients Medical for patients with symptoms or previous diagnoses of Rheumatoid Arthritis will include tests for autoimmune markers as well as hormonal imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, heavy metals, toxins and many other specialized tests.
It is important to understand that Rheumatoid Arthritis does not just affect your joints. Working with a physician at Patients Medical who understands the scope of the disease and the toll it can take on your whole body is vital.
- Osteopathic Medicine: Patients Medical’s Osteopathic physicians are highly trained to help patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Interventional pain management and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment can also be highly successful for patients looking to avoid prescription pain medication and/or surgical intervention.
- Acupuncture: Patients Medical offers Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine to help reduce the symptoms cause by Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Weight Management: Patients Medical offers personalized weight management and exercise plans that can help reduce the amount of wear-and-tear on joints susceptible to OA, especially the knees, hips and ankles.
- Stem Cell Therapy: The New York Stem Cell Treatment Center at Patients Medical is taking part in a nation-wide human clinical trial. Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis are encouraged to participate, as this therapy can help regrow cartilage and relieve pain. >>Click here to learn more about the trial.
- Natural Supplements: Patients Medical’s natural supplement shop provides supplements that help support healthy joints and relief of related symptoms including:
Begin Your Journey to Wellness with Patients Medical
Our job at Patients Medical is to listen, to connect the dots between a patient's medical history, symptoms, and their underlying causes. Patients Medical is a superb place for women and men to secure integrative and holistic health care from providers who give personalized care, partner with the patient to focus on the root cause of their illness, support their recovery, and help them maintain good health.
For those that can make the journey, we are happy to welcome new patients to our medical center in New York City. Call us at 1-212-794-8800. We are here to listen and to help.
We are located at: Patients Medical PC, 800 Second Avenue, Suite 900 (Between 42nd & 43rd Street) Manhattan, New York, NY 10017